Well, I would like to say that haven't written on the blog because I have this extremely busy life, but unfortunately that just isn't true.
Now, don't get me wrong, I am definitely busy, but the main reason that I didn't write on the blog is that I felt like I didn't have anything to talk about.
I mean, I don't have any kids, I have a pretty typical job, and nothing really out of the ordinary happens to me...at least that is what I thought.
Numerous people have pointed out to me that my life seems pretty atypical at times and I always thought that just wasn't true. It wasn't until my husband went to the hospital for the 3rd time and I was sitting in the hospital that I started to realize that it was true. I kinda lead a life that would be interesting to read about.
For example, at work, I have a student that leaves random gifts on my desk without leaving a note about who it is from.
I have recieved the following: several apples, an orange, a poem (about me being an awesome teacher), and a Christmas ornament. I truly have no idea who leaves me these gifts and I am not even sure if it is from one student.
Furthermore, this is the only year that this is happened, but I do know where the idea is stemmed from...
In one of my class periods, one of my students asked in old cartoons, that there is a lot of fruit on a teacher's desk. I explained that students would bring a teacher gifts and fruit would be an cheap, but thoughtful way to let a teacher know you care. Then, BOOM! The next day I have an orchard on my desk, but I NEVER saw any student put it there.
Definately, atypical.
Another example, my husband's unexplainable illness that puts him in the hospital for a few days where he recieves IV antibiotics and then he is fine. Since last March, my husband (who is extremely healthy) has been put in the hospital THREE times for the same disease and the doctors have no idea how it keeps happening.
He is fine, but it is definately strange.
Last, but not least....Henry and I might not have a family (yet), but we definately have a social life.
This past weekend, Henry and I attended Affair to Care which is a benefit that is associated with Vanderbilt's Children's Hospital. It was a blast and there were several memorable moments. Dinner at Sunset Grill with Hap and Jamie, Dancing the night away, yummy sweets, and having my picture taken with Hap for the Nashville Scene, who informed the photographer that the names in the picture should read Mr. and Mrs. Porter. (Sigh...)
So, in summary, it looks like I have an interesting life and I just need to overcome the procrastination and just write.
So I will end with this story from today which shows just how atypical my life can be.
Today, I had a student come to visit me from my first year of teaching. She should be a senior in high school, but she isn't. Currently, she is being "homeschooled", has a child, and is married.
After school, she came by and gave me this huge hug and I was completely shocked. Now, I wasn't about the choices she made, but I was shocked that she HUGGED me.
You see, when I had her in class, she I hated me.
I really mean that...she despised me and my class. Now, the reason that she rebelled so much against me is because I wouldn't let her slide by with mediocrity or escape class to go to the nurse/guidance/whatever place she could think of. I really tried to show her that she could be more than just her circumstances, but I never felt I truly succeeded. When she entered 8th grade, she never came back to visit (like most of my 8th graders do) and avoided me anytime she saw me, so I just sighed and hoped that someone else will help her make the right choices.
Fast forward almost 6 years...and here she is...giving me a hug and telling me about all the books she remembered from my class and that she really did like me. I asked her why she came back (because I haven't seen or heard from her for 6 years) and she said that she was thinking about me.
Wow. Thinking about ME. She hasn't crossed my mind for years and here she is, in front of my room, because she missed me.
I guess you never really know about the impact you can have on someone's life.
Anyways, back to my point...I have realized that my life isn't atypical and that it is really quite extraordinary. Now, it is up to me to just share it, so here is hoping for no more procrastination and that you don't wait a year to here from this blog again. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment